Volunteering For Hospice
Volunteers in hospice may find it personally gratifying, intellectually stimulating, and emotionally meaningful to assist those in need at such a critical point in their lives. Many start out having had the death of a loved one on hospice and understand first hand the benefit of hospice care. Volunteers are important members of the interdisciplinary team. They are specially trained to provide comfort to patients and families during the final stages of life.
Across all programs offered by Allegiant Hospice, participant ages range from teenagers to seniors. While volunteer opportunities can vary greatly from one hospice agency to another, all hospices strive to constructively utilize the time and talents of those who answer the call to serve. Some volunteers choose to donate professional skills or specialized expertise, but most are just people who have a genuine passion to serve the community.
Please contact Allegiant Hospice for more details on specific needs. Here are some examples of opportunities available for hospice volunteers:
- Support for patients. This can include visiting, reading, taking walks, writing letters, bringing in music, supervising visits with pets, even massage therapy for volunteers with the necessary skills.
- Respite and support for family members. Volunteers can assist with shopping or household maintenance, or allow family caregivers the opportunity to take care of necessary errands and get some time away from the house. Family members also appreciate a visit from a compassionate friend who understands what they are going through.
- Animal care assistance. Volunteers have also made invaluable contributions with family pet care.
- Bereavement support programs. Hospice volunteers can work closely with the hospice’s professional bereavement staff in duties that range from assisting as a support group facilitator to serving refreshments and helping with mailings to clients and families.
- Event and administrative work. A volunteer with clerical skills can serve a hospice by helping in the office with simple administrative duties. Event management responsibilities can range from preparing mailings or thank you letters to organizing events.
To further our commitment to providing excellent care and to ensure that all volunteers are comfortable in their role, Allegiant Hospice requires all volunteers to complete an extensive orientation program as well as continuing education. Allegiant Hospice will also perform a mandatory criminal background check and multi-panel interview for each applicant.
Volunteer Opportunities Available
Please apply for an interview using our online interest form.